Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Comparison of Verses

Tonight I was reading the Mom's Bible again (NCV) and compared this verse:
NCV Ephesians 5:22-24
22 Wives, yield to your husbands, as you do to the Lord,23 because the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ is the head of the church. And he is the Savior of the body, which is the church.24 As the church yields to Christ, so you wives should yield to your husbands in everything.

NIV Ephesians 5:22-24
22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

The Message
22-24Wives, understand and support your husbands in ways that show your support for Christ. The husband provides leadership to his wife the way Christ does to his church, not by domineering but by cherishing. So just as the church submits to Christ as he exercises such leadership, wives should likewise submit to their husbands.

ESV Ephesians 5:22-24
22Wives,submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

It was interesting to me to see this comparison. Yield definitely reads something into the text for me. When I think of a yield sign, I think of driving, looking both ways and if no one's coming, then I keep going. And if I do have to stop--it's only for a moment and then I keep going. That is a very different picture than what the word "submit" says to me. Submit means, well, it means...

"when the word submit is used in the Bible, it refers not only to a yielding and obedient attitude of the heart, but also, and equally importantly, to an attitude of co-operation and support"
from a sermon that is transcribed at this address: http://www.africanaquatics.co.za/_christian/_articles/submission.htm

I didn't read the whole article, only the definition. But, I liked this definition because it identifies that submission isn't only being subject to another and it isn't only yielding and it isn't only supporting another. The word submit says a lot more than yielding alone says.

I think that's an example of why I feel more comfortable reading the ESV or NIV than a thought for thought paraphrase.

No comments: