Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mom's Ultimate Book of Lists and a lot of other thoughts...

I wrote this review right after I read this book a few weeks ago...

After the last book I read, I wanted to stop reading for a little while and stomp my feet and shake out what was causing me to cringe and feel yucky. But, three packages arrived today and this book was in one of them. I thought "Hmmm...Maybe this book will remind me that there are books that I want to read." Thankfully, this book is indeed helping me get back on track.

All that to say--I can't say that I agree 100% with this book (I have some strong reservations), but there's a lot of great stuff in it. Michelle Larowe put together a book of 112 lists of things that are useful for a mom or mom to be of a 0-5 year old. A friend of mine is doing respite foster care and I think it would be a great book of lists for her too.

Mrs. LaRowe is a Christian and though it doesn't say it on the back, this is a Christian book. It's important that you understand that because so often people complain when the back of the book doesn't mention that it is Christian. But, if you're a mom and you love the Lord, I think you'll like this book. There are several lists that are particularly helpful for moms working outside of their homes. But, I think every mom of a young child will find something helpful in this book.

All that being said, this is a book that you will find yourself agreeing with sometimes and disagreeing with at others. She is a certified international nanny so she has great ideas for toys and what to do with kids and ideas about teaching sharing. Her list about discipline is a starting point, but not a complete solution. I think all the moms I know would agree that discipline is never a one size fits all kind of thing. I remember thinking when I had one child that I knew what to do--and then my second came along, and then my third... and God humbled me very quickly. Her list makes it sound like discipline is a one size fits all thing and I just don't agree with that. She is approaching this book as a nanny and mother of one child.

I agreed with her book lists for children and for adults about parenting. I would add one more, though and that is Super Baby Food--this is the best book about what to feed your 0-12 month old and when. My other favorite lists were what to pray for your child before they're born, ten practical Christian principles to teach your Christian preschooler, Age Appropriate Chores for Young Children, Fun Family Traditions, and a few others. I also thought her list about considering Adoption very wise.

Yet, her list about family friendly movies isn't one I really agree with. My oldest child is 6 and I wouldn't be able to show her any of the movies on the list. I think we have to be really careful to be sensitive about what our children can handle. The themes addressed in the movie Fireproof (a movie she includes in her list) are really for adults--not children and I wouldn't even say for tweens or preteens.

As for what I didn't agree with, I did refer to two things earlier (movies and discipline), but there is one more that I want to mention it in case you do read this book. There is a list entitled "Selecting a Family Friendly Church". I believe that we are all called to go to church and worship the Lord-- and that it is about God, not about us. The questions are supposed to help you decide whether a church is family-friendly.

But, is that why you go to church? For what it does for you and your kids? I wish that instead there had been a list of qualities to look for in a church and what to pray for in your search for a church home. Perhaps it could have been a list of open ended questions like...

1) Do you want to go to a church which practices family worship or one with separate children's church?

2) What do you feel God is calling you to do in this matter?

3) Does the congregation have grace for you and for your children?

4) Will the church love you and your family?

5) Can you love the people in the church? Will you be able to serve in the church?

The other thing I'd mention is really just a minor one. She writes this book from an upper-middle class perspective. Most of the time that isn't really important. But, it is relevant to the lists of what you need for your child's first year. It made me chuckle when she wrote "high-quality wipes" as one of the items you need. In reality, we do the best we can. You don't "need" a snuggle wrap or sheet savers.

The book of this type (all in one parenting advice and resource) that I would recommend most is the series of books titled What to expect when--you're expecting, in the first year, and in the toddler years. But, this might come in second. As I read through it, I kept a package of sticky tabs with me and tabbed the lists I want to come back to regularly because it isn't organized and formatted in a way that makes it easy to find lists you like easily.

So, in the end, how would I describe this book? As a great gift for a friend who just discovered they're pregnant (along with a copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting). Honestly, no parenting/childbirth preparation book is perfect and has everything you're looking for. I guess that's why I can recommend this book. Even though there are lists that I disagree with the author on, her lists did make me think about how I feel and what I want for my kids--and that's always a good thing.

But, would I recommend it for you to purchase for yourself? I'd recommend checking it out from the library, but not purchasing it for your home library. Get the What to Expect books first and Super Baby Food (if that's what you're looking for).

Please note that I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book for review by Revell Books.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.