Monday, October 19, 2009

A Cute Tale...


Recently, I read and reviewed Max Lucado's new book Fearless. I liked it very much. There is a snippet in that book of a new children's book that he just published called "The Tallest of Smalls".

It is often interesting reading stories with my children because it makes me aware of how sheltered they have been. My girls are homeschooled. Sami goes to preschool two mornings a week at a local high school where Autumn went for 2 years. They now go to Awanas, dance, and P.E. But, Autumn has seemed to remain largely ignorant of when she is not included by other children. She hasn't been hurt yet. I know the day will come though when that will happen. I don't look forward to it.

As I read the Tallest of Smalls to my girls, I knew that they wouldn't really understand most of what it was about. They don't have a lot of personal experience to connect it to. Although, there was a little girl who, when Autumn asked her to play with her one day at the church we used to go to, told her no. So, maybe she knows a little more of how it feels to not be liked or included than I realize.

I love Max Lucado's books about the Wemmicks and I love this one too. It is very similar in theme--the fact that we are all loved by God no matter what--for who we are and who He made us to be. We don't need to compare ourselves to others to feel good about who we are. I know there will be a time, likely in the not too distant future, when my girls will understand more fully the message of this book. On one hand, I do not look forward to that day. On the other hand, I look forward to them knowing that Jesus loves them just the way they are!

No comments: