Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pumpkin Pie

Every year after we go to the Pumpkin farm and bring home a pumpkin, I make a pumpkin pie. This year I decided to make a Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie. I'd tried one before, but wasn't super impressed. But, I had a new recipe from a cookbook I love, so I thought I'd try again. I never read recipes thoroughly before I start in them--this time I should have!

First, I had to make the cornmeal crust and partially prebake it. Wow! This involved a lot. It involved baking it for 10 minutes and then pricking the bottom with a fork. Then, I baked it another 10 minutes. Then, I had to whisk an egg white until it was frothy and paint the poked holes with a pastry brush--and then bake it for another 2 minutes. Wow! Then, I was supposed to let it cool (I didn't have time, so I skipped that step.)

I made the filling which was really quite easy. That part wasn't so bad. I am thankful I used a deep dish pie pan so it didn't overflow and make a mess in my oven. Then, I poured the filling in and baked the pie.

Sadly, it had to be refrigerated overnight before we could taste it and find out whether all of the work was worth it! After waiting another day, we ate it! And Autumn thinks that the pie was definitely worth the effort it took! I will say, it was a good pie and although the crust required a lot of work, it was easier than the regular cheesecake I make.

But, I think I'll try and read the recipe first next time and see what I'll be getting myself into before I dive in! LOL (I say that, but I never read the recipes--even when I say I'll try and remember to do that--I've said this before, I think.)

No comments: