Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I never knew there were so many things to make with Whiskey...

We lived in the south for almost 4 years. I never expected to live there. But, I grew to really love and appreciate the south. There are still a few things though that I still haven't understood--like "Pit Beef". Surprisingly, though I have many cookbooks, I didn't have any Southern cookbooks. I have had no desire to own a Paula Deen cookbook. I once saw an episode of her tv show and it made my arteries cringe--I say that very kindly. But, I've always wanted a Southern cookbook with recipes from the real south.

This week I received in the mail the Jack Daniels' Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook. The cover to the left is not what it looks like now--that is the previous edition. It is now a paperback, rather than a hardback. I actually like this because it is easier to fit on my bookshelf. It is a very nice sized cookbook. But, back to the cookbook...I had no idea there were so many drinks and recipes one could make with Jack Daniels! But, what I enjoyed most about this cookbook was all the pictures and what I learned about life in the south. There was even an explanation about what "Pit BBQ" is! It was fun to finally understand since there is a church near me that has Pit BBQ every month during the summer. I have felt like a fish out of water not understanding what it is.

I'd say about half of the recipes have Jack Daniels in them. Many of them don't. My husband will enjoy trying the drink recipes and I will enjoy trying the food recipes without Jack in them (after all I don't know any child under 10 that would be inclined to try chicken cooked with Jack Daniels). But, that's okay. I'm still very glad to have this cookbook.

Normally, I wouldn't review a cookbook without trying the recipes, of course. And in this case, I am. But, that's because I like this cookbook as much for the writing and stories as I do for the recipes. Several of the recipes were very similar to other things I've already made and I'm certain they'll come out great.

If you've ever wanted to peruse a real southern cookbook, full of recipes from regular folks--then this would be a fun cookbook to check out!

Please note...I did receive this book as a complimentary copy from Thomas Nelson Publishers.

No comments: