Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Updated Illustrations

It is always interesting to me when a new book is updated with new illustrations. I have found that I have become a very visual person the more I have read to my kids. Kids are naturally very visual. Before they can read the words, they "read" the pictures. If a book has a conflict that can be seen in the pictures, but it's only resolved on the very last page, then the child will most likely remember the conflict rather than the resolution when they "read" it on their own.

I just read the new, updated edition of Big Thoughts for Little People by Kenneth Taylor. I learned several interesting things when I read the book. Kenneth Taylor was the translator for the Living Bible and so all of the verses quoted in the book are from the Living Bible. Also, Taylor was the founder of Tyndale. I never knew that. He died just 4 years ago when he was 88 years old. This book began as a collection of some of the devotions he did for his children (he and his wife had 10!).

The words in this edition are the same as the previous edition, but the illustrations are new. The Illustrator is from Croatia. I really enjoyed the book from beginning to end. I love the illustrations. They are soft and gentle, yet they are brightly colored and fun. Kenneth Taylor's words are perfect for devotions with 2, 3, and 4 year olds. I think it would be young for 5 year olds, but if you were reading it to several children, the 5 year old could definitely pay attention and learn from the devotions.

I love devotional books that encourage children to look at the pictures which is really where reading comprehension starts. And this book has great, simple questions that are totally (sorry I grew up in CA) appropriate.

This new edition of the book is a treasure and I highly recommend it if it's what you're looking for!

No comments: