Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hmm... Doctrine

Hmmm... Once in a while I come across a book that you know is meant not to be rushed. It isn't meant to be sped read or skipped around in. It is one of those books that I need to read 2 or 3 pages at a time, chewed on, pondered, and then understood. 

I just opened up one of those books. I literally think it may take me a year to read it. So, I'm posting a pre-review. The book is Doctrine by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears. I just read the first 5 pages and appreciate it immensely. It is easy to read and thorough, yet intelligent. All explanations are sited thoroughly with scripture--even in the first 5 pages which begin by explaining the Trinity. This book is intelligent, but not intellectual.

At Crossway's website, you can read Chapter 9 and read the Table of Contents.

All that being said, I don't know that I am always going to agree with the theology that Driscoll puts forth in this book, but I do know that I am going to take what he and his co-author says to the Word and to the Lord in prayer.  


This is a book that also would be a good reference tool when you get stuck and struggle to understand a theological idea that is preached about in church or is a book you're reading or that friends are discussing.  


I skipped ahead and read the discussion of Wesleyan and Arminian theology and it is surprisingly far more complicated than the discussion of the Trinity.  
And on that note, I want to mention that this book is definitely written at an 11th/12 grade or college reading and comprehension level.  


Please note that I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book for review by Crossway Books.

No comments: