Skip to main content

Turning 2...

There are moments when children are just plain cute.  This morning there was one of those moments.  I have a lot of dirt to truck back around the house and dump from the wheelbarrow.  I came around to see Eli with his little green wagon.  He was pulling it around to the dirt pile and dumping out the dandelions he had picked--just like his mommy was doing.  It was one of those moments when I just stood in awe of how much he understood and how creative he was in imitating me.


He turned 2 yesterday.  It didn't feel that much different from any other day except that we had cake and ice cream and that the girls sang Happy Birthday to him several times yesterday!  


We gave him two Tonka Trucks--the "classic" ones that are made of metal.  It's amazing how hard it was to find something that felt like it was going to stand up to a 2 year old!


I'll be honest.  Part of the reason I didn't feel especially joyful yesterday is that Eli still isn't talking but is very clear about talking back and disobeying Mommy.  If I ask him to do something.  He will adamantly shake his head and turn his body away.  He is my child that throws fits--literally he will throw himself on the floor.  So, it wasn't one of those days when I could celebrate his birthday without having to worry about disciplining him and training him up.  His disobedience and rebellious heart, (yes, I do see his rebellious and selfish heart) made him seem ungrateful.  But, his happiness over his trucks or over anything only seemed to last a moment and then back to the "no, I won't do what you tell me to" business.  


I suppose many 2 year olds are this way.  But, Autumn wasn't.   I remember Sami having a hard 2nd birthday too for a similar reason.


It's funny.  I'm certain that there are moms that would say (or maybe just think) that "you must just not be disciplining him".  


No, I am.  He is my first to throw fits. He didn't see anyone else do it in our house since my girls didn't throw fits like he does.  


I was talking to another mom at Sami's preschool today and she said the same thing about her 4 years.  He's her first to throw fits.  She agreed with me that there are some things that are unique to children--that they don't learn them from others.


Actually, he's in time out right now.  It's funny how quickly I forget the chases my girls went through when they were younger.  I have never been a big believer in "phases", but I know that behaviors do come and go.  I know this shall pass and then there will be some new parenting challenge! =)


Please don't think that I don't love my son.  I do.  But, there are definitely challenges these days in parenting him and loving him well!

Comments

Kim said…
Happy birthday, Eli! And hang in there, Mommy. This too shall pass!

Popular posts from this blog

Grieved

Why is it that my generation (I belong to Gen X) and generations after us always seem to think that they know more than the generations that have come before us? Why is there such a lack of respect in our generation for our elders? Why do we think that the liturgy of the church and hymns are irrelevant? It is ironic to me that the emergent movement is saying that the seeker sensitive movement is irrelevant. It seems as if it was only a few years ago when it was the seeker sensitive movement that said to the traditional church that it (the traditional church) was irrelevant. I'm reading a book with all of these big words and I want to be honest--I didn't understand a lot of it. I'm not dumb. I understood most of it, but the author was assuming a lot of background knowledge on the part of the reader. Most of the time I learn deep theological concepts and then I have to store them in my "attic" (as Autumn would say) because there isn't enough room in the ...

Missing Pieces

The other day I was discussing a book with my mom and explaining to her my concern about how "blame" is cast upon the child in the story.  My mom commented about how deeply I read and consider what is written. Sometimes I wonder if I go overboard.  Am I questioning too much?  Am I overreacting? Why am I reacting this way? I come back to knowing that God wired me this way.  But, I also reflect on how God has guided my path through the maze of books I've read over the past few years and what I've learned from the books themselves and from reading them.   Recently, I read a book that troubled me.  The book I finished reading was  Guiltless Living  by Ginger Hubbard.  When I began reading it, I found myself puzzled and then disconcerted. And in the end, I cried. But, I cried for a different reason than one might suspect. I'd like to explain. I did not read Ms. Hubbard's previous book “ Don't Make Me Count to Three ”, but I knew from f...

ESV, NIV, or NASB and then there's the ICB, ESV or NIrV...which should we read?

I am so thankful for my friend's question about the ESV vs. NASB and NIV. I couldn't remember the difference so I went to look it up. I knew that John Piper and Tim Keller, both pastors and authors that I deeply respect have switched over to the ESV. All of the churches that we have attended over the past few years PCA or Reformed Baptist have also switched to the ESV. I did find a blog that explained the differences and that helped me ( http://thefoolishgalatian.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/niv-vs-esv-and-why-piper-switched/ ) I knew why I didn't like the KJV--it was written in the days when writers were paid by a patron and that often slanted the translation. The NKJV, from what I understand, is a revision of the KJV that uses more modern language. Most churches I have attended used the NIV until the ESV came out. The blog I found explained that the ESV is a more literal translation---like the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation. The ESV has come to be consid...