Sunday, March 15, 2009

Genesis

In our small group, we are studying Genesis. It is different than the usual study of Genesis. It is written by Tim Keller from Redeemer Presbyterian Church in NYC. This week we were talking about marriage and God's creation and work. We've spent a few weeks on work.

In the scripture, it says that God put Adam in the Garden of Eden to care for it and to name the animals. Adam had work to do from the beginning. One of the questions was what does this say about gardening? Gardening is an interesting thing. As the workers, we plant the seeds and care for them. But, God is the one who sends the rain and the sun and ultimately God is the one makes the plants grow--not us. It is not all under our control. I was struck by how we are not as independent as we think we are. And yet we have this need to be in control of things in our lives--rather than trusting God with them. We trust the plants to God because we realize we have no other choice, but don't we need to trust him with everything else, too? I think we just think we have a choice to be in control of the things in our lives--but we're actually in control of things far less than we realize, I think =)

Well, I still have dishes to wash and I hear children waking so I need to run. I will try and think of more interesting thoughts from the study to post.

No comments: