Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Facebook and People

So, the president or director of Facebook (I don't know which he is) stated that if Facebook were a country, it would be the 6th largest nation in the world. Wow. Pretty crazy.

Facebook helped me learn something interesting this week. Please forgive me if I've written about this before. I was looking at a friend's page and I was surprised by what was on it. Surprised in a different way than I had by others I had seen in the past. I realized that I assume that the way a person is around me is the way they really are. I discovered that that isn't neccessarily true. For example, I assumed that if someone doesn't cuss around me that they don't usually cuss. Not true. This I discovered. I only see one side of a person when they interact with me. Now that may be how they are all the time or even most of the time. But, it also may not be how they are or how they are when they feel free to be how they want to be. Facebook gives an interesting sense of freedom that way.

I think I have a strong personality =) and I know I'm strong willed. I have found that at times I have unintentionally stepped on toes because I am so strong. There was an interesting question in my Shepherding a Child's Heart Bible study this morning. It asked how I convey to my children that they have to agree with me to obey. Hmmm...an interesting question. I have caught myself in this trap before. I want my children to have their own opinions, but sometimes I have realized (after they have made choices I didn't want them to) that I shouldn't have given them that particular choice to make. Then, I am faced with 1) take away the choice and tell them what I want them to do or 2) persuade them to see things my way. Neither one is a very good option really.

I want my friends to be real with me and I think the best way to find out who someone really is--my children or my friends or even people I meet or casually know--is to be "quick to listen and slow to speak" from the book of James. =)

No comments: