Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Eating Humble Pie

Inwardly, I have had the joy of eating a lot of humble pie this year. At the beginning of the year, I started off thinking I really knew a lot about this homeschooling business because I am a certified teacher and what it was really going to be like for us as a family.

In comes the humble pie...

I had a chat with a good friend at the beginning of the year, and although I respected her opinions, I thought to myself, "But we're so different, I will expect more or different things of my kids." Ah, the pride of youth!! Today I was blessed to get to talk with the same friend (with humble pie in my stomach) and I was so encouraged by her experience and what she shared with me about her adventures in homeschooling. I have so much to learn from others--I knew I did, but I don't think I knew or even now know how much!

Part of our conversation today pointed out one of the best things about homeschooling--it's not done by a calendar to mark time the way public school operates. It's done in the pursuit of understanding. I need to always keep this in mind so that I am not just checking off a list of what needs to be done, but rather completing our tasks in the pursuit of knowledge and understanding--pursuing the love of learning =).

It's late, so this entry may not make sense and for that I apologize! =)

No comments: