Monday, February 9, 2009

Indelible Grace and Wondertime

2 separate things.
1) Indelible Grace. My husband and I have struggled with Christian music for a while. So often it feels that it is so similar to secular pop. My husband also struggles because it is often not as good as secular music--whether it is the vocals or the instrumentation of the songs. I've recently learned that we have several friends who play now or have played on worship teams at different churches that feel the same way. So, I wanted to let everyone know about Indelible Grace. The website is: www.indeliblegrace.org The group has taken old hymns and reset them to modern tunes. My husband thinks the musicians are very good and it has encouraged him a lot.

Hymns are beautiful because they are about God--rather than about us and what we get from God as it seems most modern worship songs are. A wise friend in Georgia once shared that with me. I watched a movie about one of the great hymnwriters from the early 20th century and she was quoted as saying that most people get their theology from hymmns. So, we have to be wise about what we are listening to--even when it comes to Christian music. If we listen to repetitive choruses that are all about us and what God does for us, then we can come to see that as the point of salvation--ourselves. But, if we listen to songs that point us towards the Lord--His beauty, Grace, Creation, etc, then our eyes will be taken off ourselves and put back where they belong--on Him.

Besides good instrumentation and vocals, we love good lyrics. There is a group called the Square Peg Alliance. It is a group of really good musicians who all are very honest in their music. Andrew Peterson, Jill Phillips, and Derek Webb (formerly of Caedmon's Call) are all a part of this group. Andrew Peterson and Randall Goodgame have put out one of the funniest children's albums I've ever heard--Slug and Bugs and Lullabies (I think that's the title). My girls love it and so do we.

So, if you're looking for something new to listen to. Go check out Indelible Grace and The Square Peg Alliance. You can purchase the cds for Indelible Grace at their website or through Amazon or if you're in Maryland, there's a wonderful bookstore near York, PA. called Hearts And Minds that carries them. You can hear samples and purchase CDs from the Square Peg Alliance through their website. You just need to google it. =)

2)Wondertime
I much prefer Family Fun magazine to Wondertime, but it's okay. I got a free subscription from our miles so I thought I'd try it. I noticed in the issue this month that it said you can view the whole issue online for free, so if you are looking for something to peruse, you can go to the website: www.wondertime.com

One last note... My son took his first step yesterday even while he has a cold and a fever. I hope he doesn't make too many face plants before he gets steady! That's always so hard--the falling part before they get steady in their walking.

3 comments:

Elisa Melani said...

We agree with you! Jason is constantly complaining about the quality of Christian music! Sovereign Grace Music has two newer albums Come Weary Saints and PSALMS that are much better than what they have done in the past. We have really enjoyed them.

Yeah Eli!

Anne said...

Yes, we have Valley of Vision by Sovereign Grace Ministries and really enjoy it too. =)

Kim said...

I love hymns! They are my go to for lullabies for the girls. (That and the Beatles!) And I think you're absolutely right about the role of music, and I would say liturgy, in the worship service. Also, way to go Eli! He's getting so big.