Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Losing it =)

I had something I wanted to write down, but now I've already forgotten it--and it's only been 3 minutes since I thought of it! Ah, the craziness of being a mom. People say you lose your mind when you get older. I'm starting to think that you actually just lose it over and over again!

My oldest daughter read her first book this morning. Real book. I was sitting upstairs and I heard her open up a book that we haven't read for a long time. I just knew she was reading. She wasn't reciting what she'd memorized. It was very cool.

Last night, I had a realization about homeschooling. I need to step back and realize this is my job. It is a job--just as if I was teaching school in a public school. I need to immerse my whole heart and mind in it as I am doing it and not rush through it or check off a list. I've been reading the design a study books to get perspective about the whole picture of science and reading comprehension. They're too vague for me to use as my whole curriculum, but I like them as a supplement. Often I find I am trying to get through things quickly while Eli is sleeping and make sure we cover everything. I think I need to stop worrying about that and simply do what we can and more importantly help her to understand and enjoy what we do.

2 comments:

becky.onelittle said...

How exciting! How old is she? I can't remember. I'm realising that school isn't everything. I'm stepping back from stressing over not doing school often with the boys and just letting them be boys. Nathaniel is 5 and I want him to be reading, but he's not ready and he doesn't care. I'm making sure that Nathaniel, Gabriel and Asher spend time daily in creative, constructive play and physical work. The results have been so much more rewarding than those obtained by forcing them to 'do school.'

Anne said...

Autumn is 5 now. I realized early this year that I wouldn't have put her in K if I wasn't homeschooling. She really wouldn't have been ready. So, we really took it slow in the fall and are doing more now. =) You do so much with your kids--I am in awe of you =)