Monday, February 2, 2009

Zucchini Soup

I made alterations on a Zucchini Cream Soup recipe that I found in a cookbook and my husband thought it was one of the best soups I've made:

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. Butter, cut in small pieces or 3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut into chunks
3 Tbsp. white rice, I used medium grain Calrose rice, but you could substitute short or long grain rice
1 tsp. dried basil
3 cups chicken broth, water, or vegetable broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/3 cup half and half
2/3 cup 2% lowfat milk

1. Put butter or oil, onion, curry powder, and zucchini in small round slow cooker and cook on High for 30-45 minutes.
2. Add rice, basil, and broth and cook on high for 4-5 hours.
3. Puree soup in a blender (you may need to do 2 batches). Add soup back to crock pot and add half and half and milk. Cook on low or high for 10-15 minutes and serve.

It's really good with warm crusty bread =)

No comments: