Friday, July 10, 2009

Pouring and Bunn

When it rains, it pours. Everything always seems to happen at once. Have you noticed that? Goodness. This is my week or at least part of it. Wednesday morning, I discovered that when Molly gets spayed I will have to carry her up and down the stairs of our deck for 2 weeks--14 days. =( And she will have to be kept away from the kids so she doesn't get hyper or jump. =( Tricky.

But, then I heard a pop in my oven on Wednesday night and it turned out that my oven has broken. Today the service man is going to come and check to make sure what's wrong is what it most likely is---amidst me taking Molly to the vet.

I know it will all get done, but it's just not fun.

And it's not just the things that are happening as much as how I feel amidst all of it. We're studying Let Go in my Bible study. I'm leading the study in my home. So, this week it became my turn to be challenged to Let Go of the past and give it to God. Something happened that brought up a lot of old pain. Yuckiness. And so that's hovering around me while trying to tackle everything else.

Oh, and I also discovered my vacuum is broken (hanging on by a thread) and my coffee pot was leaking and needed to be replaced. The coffee pot is replaced and on its way =) Of everything, that's the one thing that was the least painful.

Which by the way, leads me to my rabbit trail. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon. We love good strong coffee. So, I really debated whether to go with a basket (a Bunn) or a cone type of machine. I called Bunn and asked them about it. Their customer service was wonderful! It turns out that they have a slower spray nozzle that they will send you for free! It doubles the 3 minute brew time and allows for more saturation of the grounds. I also learned from her that I should use the Bunn filters because the sides are higher so you won't end up with grounds in your coffee. And finally, she pointed me to two Bunn websites. The retail site is BunnGourmet.com. On the site, you can buy the filters for $10.95 for a box of 1000. Shipping is $7.95. But, still that works out to be the same price that I've been paying at Trader Joe's for the Melitta Cone filters that we've been using for 2 years. And buying them online saves running around.

Pros: Hot, hot coffee. It should brew a strong pot with the low flow sprayer. Cost comparable to a Krups ($100) instead of a Capresso ($180) or a Thermovax (?) ($300) The pot style will be easy to clean (instead of the capresso that has a very narrow top). A 3 year warranty and as you can tell I think the customer service is great!
Cons: The thermal carafe version would have cost $150, but we've had a thermal carafe for 2 1/2 years and they're really hard to clean inside. Basket filter instead of a cone filter--hopefully it will be okay. But, I'll keep you posted!

My husband was concerned about breaking the post, but if it breaks I'll be able to order a new pot for $10 on the website. Not too bad. One other interesting thing. The customer service told me that all the models are basically the same, they just have a different look to them.

Well, it's time for me to get ready for today! Hopefully, it won't be as bad as I'm fearing.

3 comments:

becky.onelittle said...

I'm sure your vet is probably right about post operative care, but we have two beasts of dogs who at spay/ nueter time (6 or 7 months) were about 50 lbs. They couldn't come inside, so we locked them up in a pen outside intending to exercise and care for them. They dug out of the fence the first night and were chasing cars the next morning. Crazy! My cats were the same way- out door kitties. We fixed them up a quiet place under the porch (they're favorite hiding place). The female cat began nursing her 10 wk old kittens immediately, and now she's adopted two other kittens to nurse (3 wks after surgery). All that to say, I'm sure your dog won't be all that much trouble. Keep her quiet for a few days and I bet she's up and running after that.

Kim said...

About the spaying...I second the other comment. Doctors always err, sometimes drastically, on the side of caution. If he/she does a good job and you can keep her quiet for a few days, Molly will be just fine. And I hear you about things happening all at once. We have had the same kind of week. Hang in there, and if you ever need to talk or need help with the kids, PLEASE call me or just drop in. Can't guarantee the house will be clean....but you are always welcome! :)

Anne said...

Thanks my friends! All went well today--far better than I expected and the vet said that really Molly can walk down the stairs by herself! All that worrying and fretting for nothing! =)