Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fourth of July and the Fire Department

A few random thoughts and a story...

Last night the fire department almost came to our house. We filled the house with smoke because of something in the oven. I couldn't remember how to bypass the fire alarm so the alarm contacted the company. I tried to call them and couldn't get through. But in the meantime they called 911 and my mom in CA! Goodness! 911 called me and thankfully, they were able to call off the fire truck before it arrived. But, the crazy thing about it is that none of my neighbors came over to check on us. That made me very sad, honestly. But, also thankful for the security company that monitors our alarm system. At least I can feel comforted that someone will be watching out for me.

Parades. I grew up going to the Rose Parade. It was wonderful. That is what a great parade is! Great floats and bands. Today, the kids and I went to the little 4th of July parade in my town. I don't know quite how to put my reaction or my feelings about it. I do not understand how a band could think that it is appropriate for its cheerleaders to wear bikinis while marching and shaking pompoms. (Honestly, this will sound horrible, but they looked like hookers.) This isn't the NFL. These were little girls, middle school girls, and girls who looked a little too old to be doing this still. It made me very, very sad. I didn't want to say anything in public to the girls, but Autumn thought they looked beautiful. How do I explain to her that they weren't? I believe God desires for us to be modest--not homely, but modest. It made me very very sad. And I wondered if I would feel comfortable taking the kids next year. Sadly, probably not.

My best friend from high school came to visit me and the kids this weekend. We hadn't seen each other in 5 years. We had a great visit. She knows me well. As she ought after being friends for 20 years. Thanks God for such a great friend!

So, those are a few random thoughts. =)

No comments: