Saturday, July 18, 2009

June Bug

I like the name June Bug. It is affectionate and cute. It's also the title of a new book by Chris Fabry that's being published by Tyndale. I really wanted to read this book. The description intrigued me. And I'm glad it did.

June Bug is the story of a little girl and her dad who live in an RV. They travel around the U.S. spending the nights in Walmart parking lots. At the very beginning, June Bug sees a picture of herself on the missing picture wall right inside the Walmart where they are staying. Knowing just that much is enough to make you think,
"Hmm, this could be an interesting story."

I don't want to give away any of the plot, because that's what's best about a good book--you don't know where exactly it's going and when things are going to happen. So, instead I'll describe the writing and the book itself.

One complaint many writers have is that a lot of Christian fiction books write books that can be compared to Nancy Drew books. I love Nancy Drew (the old ones) and my husband teases me for this. They are written at a fourth grade reading level with entirely predictable plots with only a little character development. There are just as many secular writers that write this type of fiction, but good books that draw you in are so much more satisfying, memorable, and enjoyable to read.

This book is a good book. It is written well. I enjoyed the characters. The descriptions of physical appearances were minimal, but the feelings conveyed by the characters allow readers to picture them in their minds. The plot twists and turns and never gets too slow or too fast, for that matter.

I would recommend this book. If you enjoy Angela Hunt's books, you'd likely enjoy this book!

No comments: