Saturday, August 15, 2009

Eli and words

Eli has 7 teeth and says no words. He's 1 week shy of 16 months. It's interesting. My girls didn't start talking until they were 20-22 months old. Eli seems to be 2-3 months behind them so far (teeth/walking/crawling). I'm not really worried, but it's interesting to see what he can do. I think it's the things that he can do that make me not worry.

He can follow directions. Yesterday and today, he has carried the dog bowl full of food to Molly's crate, set it in the right spot, and then shut the crate door on her! He is feeding himself yogurt with a spoon right now--although he might turn out to be left handed. He seems to prefer his left to his right. Can I train him to use his right or is that an innate trait? I don't know. Anyways, I don't feed him at all. He picks up his food and feeds himself. I am very thankful for this. And he does communicate with sounds and grunts and lots of cries =) just not with words.

It's interesting to me to watch him grow up. I am constantly struck by the amazingness of how God created us!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Did you ever use sign language with your kids?

Anne said...

I did use a few with Autumn and Sami, but try as I might with Eli, he won't do it! =) I have a friend who is having the same dilemma with her 3rd, also a boy. Her two older ones did, but her third won't. Her third does talk a lot more than Eli and it is intelligible--which I can't say for Eli.

I definitely can tell Eli understands, but he does not want to sign--he wants to say it his own way!

Did you sign a lot with your kids? If you did, are there any tricks you learned to help them do it?