Thursday, August 13, 2009

Needed Encouragement

This morning I am so very thankful. Last night a gal called me and we began to talk about a local homeschooling co-op that gets together for activities. I had been puzzling about this just this week. I had almost joined a secular coop and I have really been trying to figure out what to do! One friend pointed out to me that the motivation from many people in that group in how they raise their children would likely be very different from ours as Christians and they're coming from a different perspective. I have realized that this is really important to me because of what I desire from being involved in the group.

I need to be around other moms that enjoy being with their kids! I struggle so often to take the time to watch and listen. By being with other moms who take themselves less seriously than I do (a very good thing), I remember to relax and slow down! Talking with this gal last night was such a blessing to me. I am looking forward to going to the group next week. I think it will help fill in the gaps socially with friends that I have felt with my girls.

And on the other hand, I do not want to keep them away from the world in a Christian bubble. I signed them up for a ballet class this week, which I also now feel was the right thing to do--and I feel that the Lord has blessed that. I happened to call a friend after I had signed them up and found out that the girls teacher is a Christian and a long time friend of the gal I called. It will be in a structured environment and I think really good for the girls.

I am getting excited for this year and all that the Lord has in store for us!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I struggle with "lightening up" as well :)
It used to be so easy with just one. Now, I feel like the novelty wore off and my patience is too tired to hang around. Parenting is more business these days. I also struggle with expectations. I want my kids to be responsible and caring and I know they can, but I also need reminders that they're still kids.
Hope your school year shapes up to be awesome this year!