Friday, August 14, 2009

Grocery Stores

I shop at BJ's, Costco, Aldi's and once a month at Trader Joe's (for coffee and Macaroni and Cheese). Today I went to Shop Rite. I so quickly forget how expensive everything is at regular grocery stores. As I walked the aisles, I was so struck by how much I don't buy for my family! I really buy mostly basics.

Today, I had a coupon for $5 off $25 or more, so I thought I would go (and a coupon for a free dozen eggs). So, I bought 2 # bacon, 4 bottles of mayo (on sale and with a coupon), 2 cream cheese containers (sale and coupon), chicken (sale), ground pork, pork chops (sale), cilantro, cereal (sale and coupon), milk, 1 dozen eggs, tortillas (coupon). I think that's it. It came to $55 and some change. I was wowed. It added up so quick! Then he took off my coupons and it came to $38 something. Then, I read through my receipt and realized that I had thought the Mayo was $2 not $2.49 before coupons. So, I pushed the huge (!) cart with the car on the front back to check. While I was looking two carts came up behind me and asked me to move. I don't think I was there very long, but I guess they thought I was rude. In any case, I went back up and talked to a cashier. She went back and checked and said I was right. So, we went over to customer service and I got one for free and the right price on the other 3. $3.96 refunded. So, all in all, it all cost $34.23.

I am thankful for that price, but it left me wondering about what everyone buys when they go to the store. How is everyone affording everything at the grocery store? I am thankful my mom never raised me to buy all of those things. Yet even so, we've overspent on our food budget so many times. It comes more from eating out, though, than the grocery stores. I understand how people overspend--only when we write down everything that we spend are we really able to keep track. And when I put it off, I always end up getting myself in trouble. I just forget one or two things and then it throws everything off! We've vowed that we're going to stop eating out so much and hopefully that will really help. We don't eat at expensive places--but everything adds up, doesn't it!?

Anyways, those are my random thoughts for tonight. I really need to go to sleep. I've got Sami's curriculum for the year all organized and I'm getting Autumn's in the right spot. I just need to go make some copies so I don't have to do it later on!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I always make my list based on the sale/coupon match ups at
http://www.becentsable.net/Default.aspx?pageId=331691

Anne said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I will pass it on! =)