Sunday, August 23, 2009

Homemade Crab Cakes

Crab Cakes are a funny thing here in Maryland. I have to say--people don't eat them out west. I had never eaten one before we moved here. People do eat a lot more Sushi though out west and a lot more Chinese food and a lot more Mexican food. But, here in Maryland, it's crabs =)

So, today I made my first crabcakes from scratch (and we've lived here almost 4 years!). They were pretty good. As good as a restaurant, I think. I followed the America's test kitchen recipe and you really got the flavor of the crab. I am very thankful for the suggestions from a coworker of Chris'. She suggested broiling them on the top rack for 5-6 minutes on a side, rather than panfrying. I can't imagine panfrying them! They would have really fallen a part on me. The recipe I used also suggested chilling them once formed, before cooking and that helped a lot!

So, yay! My crab cakes were a success--and they made my husband smile =)

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love it when a new recipe comes together well. And I have to agree, broiling is much better than pan-frying!