Friday, August 28, 2009



My Story Bible...
This is a story book collection of 66 Bible Stories. I was glad to see several stories in this collection that I haven't found in other Bible storybooks.

There is no introduction or explanation by the authors about why they chose the stories they chose. So, I am unsure about the goal of the authors as they wrote this book. The writing was good and the pictures were very easy to look at and very good visual explanations for the stories--but...

As I read through the stories included, I found myself going back to the Bible several times to find out what the Bible really said. When I read a Bible storybook, I really want it to agree with the Word--in big and little details. And I found that there were enough discrepancies for this storybook not to be my first choice. But, they weren't really discrepancies--rather the authors read into what the Word does say.

In the bible it doesn't say how Saul was renamed Paul, simply that Saul was also called Paul. In this storybook, the authors said that Saul chose to be called Paul.

Another example. In the story of Mary and Martha (yay for its inclusion), Jesus simply says let it be, stop worrying. When John describes his vision in Revelation, I wouldn't have been able to tell as a child what the point of the revelation was. Whereas, the Big Picture Bible--written for the same age group--really does a good job explaining Revelations and what John saw in a very biblical way.

My husband thought it was a nice storybook, but if you are only getting one or two, it probably wouldn't be the one he would buy. But, it is nonetheless, a nice storybook--with nice pictures and good bedtime length stories and our daughters enjoyed listening to them.

No comments: