Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cards

It was such a surprise after I posted about cards--that I got a card in the mail yesterday! It made me smile and it was such a blessing to hear from my friend in Texas.

How do we love people well? Back to that question =)

I was reading in James this morning in Chapter 4: (ESV)
15Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that." 16As it is, you boast in your arrogance." All such boasting is evil. 17" So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

I was doing my Bible study and the questions pointed me to trusting God and it asked what is the "right" thing to do. I'm not a theologian, but the answer I wrote down was things that fall into the two categories of -- Loving the Lord above all else and Loving your neighbor as yourself.

Last night, I went to a book sale. My friend really wanted to go, but it was going to be too late. I wondered if I should stay and not go. I went. I felt torn. It's ironic, because I still got there late =) With book sales, you have to get there when the doors open, because the Book Sellers swoop in and grab every book worth reselling in the blink of an eye (an exaggeration, but they do do it very quickly and in a matter of minutes). It's a hard thing actually, because it encourages in me to be a hoarder and try and be the way they are and snatch up books I want quickly (not good). But, I'm trying to fight that feeling. Anyways, I picked up a few books for gifts. I love to give books. There was a young family about my age there (I still think I'm not old, yet) and it was the wife's first time. So, I started explaining the book sales to her. I gave her a bunch of books that I'd picked out and her son took one from my pile (but I didn't say anything) and I could feel God stretching me. It felt good. I was glad to share them with her.

I want to be wise and save what I need to, but I don't want that to become a worry and keep me from loving people today. So, that's what's on my mind today and I think that's the lesson that he's trying to teach me.

So, I started another blog today. I'm still going to do this one, but I'm going to write on the other one when I find ways to save money and make things stretch =) It's called http://makingthingsstretch.blogspot.com

So, that's me for this morning. I hope you have a great day!

No comments: