Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The toothbrush

My pediatrician recommended that I start brushing Eli's teeth at his last checkup. She suggested that I give him a toothbrush and so he could start imitating the girls.

So, he does just that. I give him his toothbrush (with water on it) and then he climbs down the step stool. He stands and chews/sucks on his toothbrush, climbs back up the stool, stands, and does the cutest imitation of a spit into the sink. He's 17 months old now and I love this time.

He is also getting introduced to timeout, though. He, like every other baby I've known, is testing out pushing and hitting his sisters. Not a lot, thankfully, but he thinks it's fun and I have to help him understand that it isn't.

He will sit in timeout on the stairs because he's seen the girls do it many times. When they go in timeout, he goes over, sits next to them, and gives them a hug. It's pretty funny. Little does he know that once he understands, he will never choose willingly to go sit in timeout =)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Gerber sells fluoride-free toddler toothpaste too.

Anne said...

Oral B does too, but actually, our pediatric dentist said that it really doesn't matter--that plain water works just as well on little teeth until they're older and ready for flouride toothpaste. =) I did use the toddler toothpaste with the girls, but I think I'm going to opt not to use it with Eli for the time being.