Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fear in our lives...


When I got this book in the mail, I thought to myself, "I'm not afraid." But, this book was very timely in my life. As my husband and I have walked through a trial this past few weeks, I have been struggled with fear many times. And I continue to each day.

Max Lucado tackles fear from several directions in this book. It is easy to read, comforting, yet challenging, and full of wisdom. There are several quotes in his book that I think I'll always remember. I've quoted this book to others at least 10 times over the past 2 weeks since I've read it. I don't want to include them here, because they are worth reading in context. I'm sure I will quote them down the road in my blog.

But, I will mention the chapter that encouraged me the most. It was the chapter about the fear of not mattering. Why do I blog? Why do I write reviews on Amazon? Why do I talk on the phone? Why do I do Facebook? Why do I email? Technology can be both a curse and a blessing. I realized that there was a part of me that wanted to feel like I have something worthy of saying--and worthy of being heard. I had to step back and pray and take these fears to the Lord--my fear that I don't matter--that I'm not liked or loved or worthy of being liked or loved.

Though you may not think you live with fear in your life--you may be surprised. I think it's likely more present than you think! At least it was for me.

No comments: