Saturday, September 26, 2009

Thankfulness

I was struck by something last night about thankfulness. I read a story last week about a gal who wanted to enjoy things the way her friends who believed in God did. She noticed that they truly enjoyed seeing a waterfall, or a caterpillar, or a good meal in a way that she didn't. To them the waterfall was God's creation--as was the caterpillar and the good meal a blessing. But, to her, they were simply a waterfall, a caterpillar, and food.

That story struck me because I am thankful that when I look at a waterfall I am filled with wonder and joy at the beauty of it--the beauty of God's creation. I am puzzled and wowed as I watch a caterpillar move. I savor and love a great meal!

But, I realized that in enjoying things there isn't simply an enjoyment of it that comes from God, but there is also a thankfulness that I am truly thankful for. If I thought it was only because of me and my hands or man that these things existed, why would I have to be thankful for them? It is because they are a blessing and I realize that they are from someone else that I do not deserve these things and that they are part of God's grace for me. There's no way I could earn a waterfall or a caterpillar =)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey Suzanne, I found you on Kim's blog. I loved seeing you today. Your such a great mom. Your kids are beautiful. A blessing from heaven.

I hope I see you soon!!

Toni said...

thankfulness makes all the difference doesn;t it. we are always amazed at everything around us, I know folks think we are a bit goofy.But glorifying the lord isn;t:-)