Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Awanas and Accountability

I signed the girls up for Awanas this year at a church nearby. I did it, honestly, because I thought it would be an inexpensive way for them to have fun, be social, and get the chance to make some friends. But, I've already found some other blessings.

Today we were working on the activities for Sami's Cubbies book. It encouraged me to pull out the playdough--which I don't do a lot because I dread the mess. But, I did it in a simple way. I just pulled out four cans and nothing else. I was reminded once again that there have been a lot of times when I have wanted my kids to do things before they were ready. Today Autumn made a beautiful flower. A year ago, she couldn't think how to make anything--and she's a pretty creative girl. I think she just needed to grow up a little more and learn how to be creative =) in a different way. Sami tried and she made lily pads and then a frog--complete with eyes, nose (lol), and a tongue. Autumn made a pony of many colors and a mermaid (it didn't look like a mermaid to me, but I loved that she thought it did).

I am realizing that I need accountability for myself--it encourages me to keep up and get things done. I have a chore chart for myself. I have a planner that I check off when we get each of our lessons done. We're memorizing verses because the girls' sunday school class is learning them (and so is Awanas). Today, I am thankful for accountability =) I don't think I'd be a very good unit studies kind of teacher, but I'm thankful for the Awanas activities because they require us (specifically me) to be more artsy =) and fun!

No comments: