Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Timelessly true...

I have to be honest. When I come across something that takes me by surprise, I don't think I can do it justice. That is the case with Focus on the Family's Radio Theater version of The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. The Screwtape Letters were a series of letters that C.S. Lewis wrote about Screwtape to his nephew Wormwood--both workers for the Devil about how to effectively lead people to Hell and away from God. They were originally published separately in a magazine and then compiled as a book.

I think the release of this audiodrama is very timely in our culture today. It brings to life C.S. Lewis' book from 60+ years ago. What amazes me so much about it is how true it remains today--even about our culture! I thought beforehand that there would be some very insightful comments made in it, but I had no idea how many!

I have not read the actual book, but it is on our bookshelf so I picked it up after listening to the audiodrama. It is amazingly true to the book. It is not a drastic abridgement as I had expected. The language they use is true to the book and the way Wormwood and Screwtape talk is also true to the book.

There is one particular point that struck me today that I didn't want to forget to mention. It was when Screwtape tells Wormwood that the best road to (Hell) is a very gradual one--not one marked by huge sins. Huge sins make people aware of their need for God. The gradual road (in my words) is like the frog in a pot that comes to a boil gradually--so he doesn't know he's dying.

What most struck me as I listened was that what Screwtape was really talking about is Cynicism. Cynicism is the Devil's best way to turn us away from the Lord. C.S. Lewis used other words, but essentially, that is what he was talking about.

As far as the dramatization goes, it is best to listen to it in daylight--although at night, it might have more of an impact on you. The actors were excellent! I wasn't concerned about the Behind the Scenes DVD because that has never been something I've really watched on movies. On the packaging, there is a warning that it is for ages 12 and up. I would agree with that and I'm glad they placed that age recommendation on the back. I was careful not to play it around my little ones or within their earshot.

I highly recommend this audio drama! It will give you much to ponder. It is definitely giving me much to ponder today. They just made a website for this Audio Drama: http://www.screwtape.com/

1 comment:

Elisa Melani said...

Jason listened to this when he first moved to TN. It really impacted him! It wasn't Focus On The Family just someone reading the book. It's a powerful story, Jason quotes it all the time. I can't wait to hear this version. Their Narnia series is also very good. Jenna just started listening to Adventures in Odyssey and loves it!