Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Loving People

I was about to write an entry about something that is burdening my heart, but knowing that I am still struggling with it, I realized it wouldn't be wise.

But, I will instead talk about loving people. What does it mean to be "there" for someone when they need you?

A few years ago, my husband's father died. We received so many sympathy cards from his coworkers. I was amazed. They were comforting--because it meant so much to know that they cared. His boss' boss' boss even sent a card. But, we didn't get any cards from anyone at church.

We talk a lot in the church about believers and nonbelievers and how they are different. Sometimes nonbelievers are much better than loving people than we, as believers are.

Now, whenever I know someone who has had a family member pass away, I send a card as soon as I can--because I know how much it meant to me.

I learned the same lessons with thank you notes. In the course of a conversation when we lived in the South, I realized that my friend was expecting a thank you note. I sent wedding notes after our wedding years ago, but I wasn't in a regular habit of sending thank you notes. I made sure that that day, I wrote one out to her and got it in the mail. Ever since then, I've made sure that I write thank you notes. I do it because I want people to know how much I appreciated their gift--or how much the kids did if it was for them. I want people to know that I care.

I'm going to keep pondering this question of "how can we be "there" for people?" But, really a better question is "how can we show people that we love them?"

2 comments:

Deb said...

Good stuff. I used to send cards and thank you notes regularly. but have stopped in recent years. I just seem to think people will understand. And they do understand...that I'm too busy to acknowledge them in love. Ouch!

Anne said...

I think they do understand =) but, it is one way we can love people and sometimes in the age of facebook and email, I think we forget what a blessing it can be to hear from people in the mail or by phone =)