Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The tongue

In James, it says that the tongue is like the spark that can start a forest fire. It guides our whole body. It's like the bit that tells the horse where to go.

Hmmm...

When I take that scripture and apply it to myself, it is so gravely humbling to realize the gravity and importance of self control. I have made many mistakes over the years and said things I shouldn't have said--and wish truly that I hadn't. I get tied up in knots and tears when I realize I have opened my mouth and put my foot in it!

But, at this moment, I have thought of this scripture and a person that I know and am concerned for. The realization that his tongue is guiding his actions, his heart, and essentially who is--make his actions look different somehow. Tonight I am grieving for this and the consequences of this and praying.

Over the past month, I have come to realize--I'm not sure if I've written about this--many reasons why Jesus tells us to take the plank out of our own eye before trying to take the speck out of our brothers. One reason I discovered this month is that in taking out the plank first, we develop compassion for our brother/sister in Christ with the speck in their eye. And when we go to try and take that speck out, we go humbly being fully aware of our own frailties.

No comments: