Thursday, September 3, 2009

Reading Fiction

There are a lot of reasons I like to read fiction books. I love Honey for A Woman's Heart by Gladys Hunt, because she talks about all the reasons women should read. She talks about reading to feel life, to feel pleasure, and to learn.
This book is one of those that I read simply to feel pleasure--to enjoy and escape the struggles of life.

Lonestar Secrets is the story of Shannon and her daughter Kylie who return to the town she lived in as a teen and where she got pregnant and had her daughter. In the beginning of the story, she realizes that the twin of her daughter is not dead, but still living. And the story unfolds from there...

It is a good story. I wanted to know how it ended and I forgot about the worries on my plate right now. Colleen Coble's writing is much like Karen Kingsbury's and although this is part of a series, you could read to the end and feel like you had reached the end. I do not like the Beverly Lewis novels that leave you hanging at the end. I want to know that things work out in the end. But, Mrs. Coble's writing is not at the same level as Francine Rivers or Angela Hunt. Both are better writers, but they also write a different kind of fiction story--with a message in mind. The writing in this book is not for any purpose other than enjoyment, I believe.

This book is a good book to pick up after the week is done on a Friday night with a cup of tea and curl up on the sofa with. At maybe 1 or 2 am you'll put it down, got to sleep, then wake up the next morning and finish it off. At least that's what I did last night--except that while my kids were taking their nap today, I finished reading the end.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

thanks for the recommendation! i love Karen Kingsbury, Angela Hunt, and Francine Rivers. i love beverly lewis too b/c we spend so much time in amish country and i love knowing more of the culture.